By Tony Drake | @coachingbydrake | THE YEAR 2022
CERTIFIED YOUTH, SENIOR AND LIFESPAN COACH, ONLINE COACHING, PERSONAL TRAINER, AND SPECIALIST IN SPORTS NUTRITION
Are you one of those people who gain weight despite barely eating anything? Or do you belong to those people who never gain weight despite eating whatever they want? These two scenarios raise questions about what role metabolism plays in weight gain or weight loss.
- What does metabolism do in our body?
- How can metabolism help you in losing weight?
- How can you boost your metabolism?
What does metabolism do in our body?
Metabolism is defined as the chemical reactions in the body’s cells that change food into energy. Our body needs this energy to do everything — moving, thinking, and growing.
Metabolism refers to how fast our body burns the calories from the food we eat. It is likened to an engine of a car, burning fuel to keep it running. Our metabolism is constantly running to keep our body doing things, from simple to extreme.
How can metabolism help you in losing weight?
Metabolism can be high (or fast) or slow. An individual with high metabolism will burn more calories at rest and during activity. On the other hand, an individual with slow metabolism will burn fewer calories at rest and during activity. That’s why people with high metabolism have to take in more calories to maintain their weight while people with slow metabolism have to eat less to avoid becoming overweight.
Although the rate of our metabolism is determined by our genes, we can still use this natural process in achieving the weight we want to have.
If we eat and drink fewer calories than what our bodies burn through everyday activities, we will lose weight. If we eat and drink more calories than what our body needs, we will gain weight. Our body stores excess energy in fat cells. That is why we have to burn those calories to avoid those unwanted fats.
How can you boost your metabolism?
To help you in losing weight, you can boost your metabolism by doing the following:
- Do intermittent fasting everyday, at least 16 hours a day.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is linked to a major increase in the risk of obesity, that’s why you have to get a good night’s sleep. This helps your body’s fat loss and weight loss cells.
- Walk at least 30 minutes a day, in a fast state. Stand up more! Sitting for a long time burns few calories and is bad for your health. Try to stand up regularly or invest in a standing desk. While doing these, do not consume any food or drink that would break your fast. Use your body fat for fuel in order for you to perform the 30 minutes of walking.
- Include protein in every meal. This will help boost your metabolism so that you burn more calories. It can also help you eat less.
- Lastly, increase your water intake. As long as your urine color goes from yellow to clear, your body is hydrated, which also helps with boosting your metabolism.
It is important to keep your metabolism working at a healthy rate for your daily functions. Keep in mind that everyone loses weight when they burn up more calories than what they eat. When you are more aware of what you are eating, you may find that it is easier to make balanced choices that align with your individual state.
Utilize the information above to boost your metabolism and lose weight effectively. And, if you like more content about health and fitness, make sure to follow this blog to keep posted.